Pesticide and Chemigation training and certified scheduled for southwest Nebraska

Pesticide and Chemigation training and certification has been set for southwest Nebraska. Pesticide applicators who want to apply Restricted Use Pesticides must be licensed. The license allows the applicator to buy RUP products. Chemigators must also be trained and certified to apply fertilizer or pesticides through irrigation systems. There is no cost for chemigation training. Dates, times and locations are listed in the below tables with pesticide certification training listed first.

There is a $40 per person pesticide training cost for initial or renewal certification. Checks are preferred, made out to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, due to new accounting regulations. Please bring your copy of the letter you received from the Nebraska Department of Agriculture if you are renewing your certification. This letter will be the form that goes into the state for your certification. If you do not bring the letter with you, you will be required fill out new bubble forms.

If you are unable to attend any of the training dates, self-study packets are available at your local University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension office. The cost of the pesticide self-study course is $60.00 payable at the time the course is completed. Again checks are preferred for payment.

Following the pesticide certification meeting or the completion of the pesticide self-study course the information is sent to the state that you completed pesticide training and that you are certified. Once you are certified you need to become licensed. To become licensed you will receive a billing statement from the Nebraska Department of Agriculture for their license fee. The cost for a three-year private applicator license is $25. After the NDA receives your payment you will be issued a license. You will not be considered licensed to apply pesticides until the license has been issued the NDA.

If weather problems occur on the day of the training, cancellation announcements will be on KADL, Imperial and KICX and KIOD, McCook. A separate letter will follow at a later date for those who will be getting re-certified for Chemigation. These dates will be in March. If you have any questions, please call your local extension office. Also my cell phone number is 308-883-1409. Please come 30 minutes early to do the paperwork for the meetings.

Red Willow, 308-345-3390,

Feb. 13, 1 p.m., McCook, community building, fairgrounds.

Frontier County

March 6, 1 p.m., Curtis, Curtis Community Building; and

March 13, 1 p.m., Eustis, 4-H Building.

Southwest Three—all times local time

Dundy 308-423-2021; Hayes 308-286-3312; Hitchcock 308-334-5666.

Feb. 8, 1 p.m., Trenton, TCDC Building;

Feb. 21, 1 p.m., Hayes Center, fairgrounds;

Chemigation training—all times local time

Red Willow 308-345-3390; Hayes 308-286-3312; Hitchcock 308-334-5666.

Feb. 13, 5:30 p.m., McCook, community building, fairgrounds;

March 14, 1 p.m., Stratton, Veterans Hall Building; and

Sign up for HPJ Insights

Our weekly newsletter delivers the latest news straight to your inbox including breaking news, our exclusive columns and much more.

March 21, 1 p.m., McCook, community building, fairgrounds.