Emergency assistance could be available for hauling water to livestock

Kansas Livestock Association members in certain drought-stricken areas of the state should be aware of the availability for disaster assistance through the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees and Farm-raised Fish Program. This program is administered by the Farm Service Agency and can provide assistance for losses resulting from the cost of transporting water to livestock due to an eligible drought. Eligible drought is defined as any county that has been rated by the U.S. Drought Monitor as having a D3 or higher drought intensity. The drought monitor can be accessed at http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/.

Notice must be provided to the local FSA office within 30 days after the loss is apparent, followed by submitting an application with records of the loss before November 1. Producers in eligible drought areas who currently are hauling water should immediately visit their local FSA office to maintain ELAP payment eligibility.