USDA offers disaster assistance to Kansas farmers and livestock producers impacted by wildfires and drought

Kansas agricultural operations have been significantly impacted by recent wildfires and ongoing, severe drought. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has technical and financial assistance available to help farmers and livestock producers recover. Impacted producers should contact their local USDA Service Center to report losses and learn more about program options available to assist in their recovery from crop, land, infrastructure and livestock losses and damages.

“Production agriculture is vital to the Kansas economy, and USDA stands ready to assist in the recovery from these wildfires and extreme drought conditions,” said Robert Bonnie, Under Secretary for Farm Production and Conservation. “I assure you that USDA employees are working diligently to deliver FPAC’s extensive portfolio of disaster assistance programs and services to all impacted agricultural producers.”

USDA disaster assistance for wildfire and drought recovery

Producers who experience livestock deaths or sell injured livestock at reduced prices as a result of wildfires may be eligible for the Livestock Indemnity Program.

Meanwhile, for both wildfire and drought recovery, the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program provides eligible producers assistance for feed losses as well as water hauling and feed transportation and expenses. For ELAP, producers will need to file a notice of loss within 30 days and honeybee losses within 15 days. An online tool is now available to help ranchers document and estimate payments to cover feed transportation costs caused by wildfire and drought.

Additionally, eligible orchardists and nursery tree growers may be eligible for cost-share assistance through the Tree Assistance Program to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes or vines lost during the drought. This complements Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program or crop insurance coverage, which covers the crop but not the plants or trees in all cases. For TAP, a program application must be filed within 90 days.

“Once you are able to safely evaluate the wildfire or drought impact on your operation, be sure to contact your local FSA office to timely report all crop, livestock and farm infrastructure damages and losses,” said Charles (Chuck) Pettijohn, Acting State Executive Director for the Farm Service Agency in Kansas. “To expedite FSA disaster assistance, you will likely need to provide documents, such as farm records, herd inventory, receipts and pictures of damages or losses”

FSA also offers a variety of direct and guaranteed farm loans, including operating and emergency farm loans, to producers unable to secure commercial financing. Producers in counties with a primary or contiguous disaster designation may be eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses. Loans can help producers replace essential property, purchase inputs like livestock, equipment, feed and seed, cover family living expenses or refinance farm-related debts and other needs. In addition to loan making, USDA offers loan servicing options for borrowers who are unable to make scheduled payments on their USDA farm loan debt because of reasons beyond their control.

Risk management

Producers who have risk protection through Federal Crop Insurance or FSA’s NAP should report crop damage to their crop insurance agent or FSA office. If they have crop insurance, producers should report crop damage to their agent within 72 hours of damage discovery and follow up in writing within 15 days. For NAP covered crops, a Notice of Loss (CCC-576) must be filed within 15 days of the loss becoming apparent, except for hand-harvested crops, which should be reported within 72 hours.

“Crop insurance and other USDA risk management options are there to help producers manage risk because we never know what nature has in store for the future,” said Collin Olsen, Director of RMA’s Regional Office that covers Kansas. “The Approved Insurance Providers, loss adjusters and agents are experienced and well trained in handling these types of events.”


Outside of the primary nesting season, emergency and non-emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program acres may be authorized to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or similar natural disasters. Producers interested in haying or grazing of CRP acres should contact their county FSA office to determine eligibility.

The Emergency Conservation Program and Emergency Forest Restoration Program can assist landowners and forest stewards with financial and technical assistance to restore fencing, damaged farmland or forests. In addition, ECP supports emergency conservation measures in periods of severe drought.

USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service is always available to provide technical assistance in the recovery process by assisting producers to plan and implement conservation practices on farms, ranches and working forests impacted by natural disasters.

Farmers and ranchers can obtain technical and financial assistance to assist in properly disposing of livestock mortality, using a practice called Animal Mortality Management, through an emergency effort via Environmental Quality Incentives Program. Additionally, NRCS will look for opportunities to work with landowners to re-apply conservation practices established through EQIP that failed due to the wildfires and drought.

Producers that experienced livestock losses are encouraged to file an EQIP application with their local NRCS Field Office. Through EQIP, farmers and ranchers can apply for Emergency Animal Mortality Management. This practice can assist with rendering, incineration, and/or carcass burial costs.

Long-term damage from wildfires and drought includes forage production loss in pastures and fields and increased wind erosion on crop fields not protected with soil health practices. Producers should visit their local USDA Service Center to learn more about these impacts, potential recovery tactics, and how to take steps to make their land more resilient to drought in the future.

Sign up for HPJ Insights

Our weekly newsletter delivers the latest news straight to your inbox including breaking news, our exclusive columns and much more.

“USDA can be a very valuable partner to help landowners with their recovery and resiliency efforts,” said Karen Woodrich, NRCS State Conservationist in Kansas. “Our staff will work one-on-one with landowners to make assessments of the damages and develop approaches that focus on effective recovery of the land.”

Assistance for communities

Additional NRCS programs include the Emergency Watershed Protection program, which provides assistance to local government sponsors with the cost of addressing watershed impairments or hazards such as damaged upland sites stripped of vegetation by wildfire, debris removal and streambank stabilization.

Eligible sponsors include cities, counties, towns, or any federally recognized Native American tribe or tribal organization. Sponsors must submit a formal request (via mail or email) to the state conservationist for assistance within 60 days of the natural disaster occurrence or 60 days from the date when access to the sites become available. For more information, sponsors should contact the local NRCS office.

“EWP provides immediate assistance to communities to mitigate potential hazards to life and property resulting from the fires and particularly the severe erosion and flooding that can occur after the fire,” Woodrich said. “We can work with a local sponsor to help a damaged watershed so that lives and property are protected while preventing further devastation in the community.”

In addition to EWP, Conservation Technical Assistance is another valuable service that NRCS can provide following a wildfire. NRCS technical assistance can help fire victims with planning cost-effective post fire restoration practices.

On, the Drought Recovery Assistance Page, Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool, Disaster Assistance-at-a-Glance fact sheet, and Farm Loan Discovery Tool can help producers and landowners determine program or loan options. For assistance with a crop insurance claim, producers and landowners should contact their crop insurance agent. For FSA and NRCS programs, they should contact their local USDA Service Center.